Role of the Client
In every project there is both an Owner of the building and a Client for the project. In most cases the Client is the Owner, but in some unique circumstances that is not the case. If your project has a separate Owner and Client it is important to identify this upfront to your Architect.
For the purposes of this guide we are referring to the Client and Owner as one in the same
What is the role and responsibilities of the Client?
The Client’s role in each phase of the project is to review the work and provide constructive comments/observations and ultimately decide if the project can move onto the next phase.
- Securing adequate funding for the project
- Obtaining the necessary permits
- Answering questions about the project
- Attendance at relevant meetings
- Review drawings and other information provided by the Architect andcommunicate any concerns, questions or ideas that may arise
- Determining and defining user needs
- Respond to any project questions in a timely manner
- Awarding contracts and making payments
- Operating and maintaining the building following completion.